Thursday, April 12, 2012

Surviving your rides

You riding a motorcycle, doesn’t mean you have a death wish, right? Well for those who never rode a motorcycle, that is not true. They believe that it is your own fault if when getting into a (for them) “fender bender”, you die. They do not (for most of them) understand that flesh is more fragile than their fender. Is it a lack of information? Yes, I believe it is. Is it a lack of care about others? Yes. They don’t have a death wish. They chose to ride an SUV to keep them safe from driving mishaps (theirs & others). If you chose to ride a motorcycle, that’s your problem, right? I’ll leave the answer to this one open, but here is our answer to this statement: Kill a Biker, GO to Jail.

Between 2004 and 2011, I have been a Motorcycle repair instructor at MMI in Orlando. I remember the announcements of the dead students while riding their bikes during their School years. Some of them were only 18 years old. Most of them were very young. It matters not, people died doing what they enjoyed. What mattered to me was to spend all this time with them, and see them disappear from the face of this earth. And I couldn’t help but think: “What a waste”. Sometimes, they were my direct students. I can’t remember their names, but I do remember their faces. MMI is a technical school that has over 1800 students on the motorcycle campus of Orlando. I my self taught an average of 15 different students every three weeks. You do the math, and understand why I can’t remember their names. However, I would like to take this opportunity, to ask anyone who knows the names of those young people who died in tragic motorcycle accidents, to please, with a comment, print their names in memory of their being with us at times where they had dreams and life with them. Parents who lost your children after sending them to school, please, print their names.

Now, not all lost their life in an accident, some got injured for life. I remember one day, I was teaching an electrical class, and this student, asked me to leave, as his Mom was hit by a car, and transported to the hospital. A few days later, he was back in class and told me about the accident. She was hit by car (what a shame that I don’t have the name of that criminal driver) that went through a Red light. As the his Mom was crossing the intersection, she got hit sideways. They had to amputate her leg. And I recall many others with life long injuries. If you wish to tell their stories in a comment, please go ahead.

Now, true it was not always the fault of a criminal driver (notice my strong description for them). I personally would feel criminal and responsible if I killed or injured any one by my carelessness. Sometimes, I’ve put the blame on the parents of that teenager who have allowed him to purchase too fast a bike for their riding experience. One does not let or buy his child a bike capable of doing 140MPH when it is the first bike they’ve ever ridden. Sorry parents, I am pointing the finger at you. And yes, you may comment on that one if you feel targeted.

How about a few tips on safe riding on the roads. If your intention is to ride fast to get an adrenaline rush, may I suggest going to a race track? Where I live, I am 20 minutes away from a Drag Strip, and 2 and 1/2 hours away from Road Race Track. I recall my last rush, I went to Jennings. I spent a hole day going as fast as I could, for only $140.00. I went so fast for so long, that I and my tires were spent, and quit early (around 3pm, when I still had 2 hours to go). Now some would argue, that on the roads it doesn’t cost any money. Really? From what I heard, If you get a speeding ticket going above 100MPH, the find is something like close to $1000.00. And you might just lose your license. I’ve never been to the Drag Strip near by, but a few friends of mine do. The cost is about $20.00 to run all day.

Now, to the riding tips.

  1. Your first bike, should only be a little faster than most cars. Don’t buy something you can’t handle. Don’t buy something too slow, you’d be setting your self as a target.
  2. Always give your ride a quick inspection before you go.
  3. Learn to ride a motorcycle, know what it can do. How fast can it stop? Much faster than a car. How well can you use those brakes? How far can it lean to turn? Don’t crash because you were afraid to turn! How fast can it accelerate? You might need to learn to gauge that in emergency situations. I can’t give you a riding lesson in print. A big part of riding is how you feel your ride.
  4. Helmet? Well your head is like an egg. Drop an egg on the tarmac, and make your own decision.
  5. Always ride with a large safe margin off your riding ability.
  6. If you can’t see, slow down, be prepared for surprises.
  7. Always plan an escape path, no matter where you are. If you don’t have any, then you’re in the wrong place. Going for a ride in a field is always safer than hitting a wall. Being surrounded by dozens of cars, is like playing Russian roulette, you never know what they’ll do. So, that’s why you own a bike that is faster than the cars. Get away.
  8. Never follow too close. The rule is: As the vehicle in front of you crosses a land mark (a post of a tree), start counting. If before you’ve reach 3, you pass that mark, you are too close. That method accounts for a varying speed. At 30MPH the safety distance will be shorter, than at 70MPH.
  9. Constantly look around for incoming traffic. Never rest. It will allow you to appreciate your surroundings, and that is a plus. But never leave your eyes more than a second on the same spot. How to look and see. To scan effectively you must move your eyes from one spot to another. Never scan in an even motion, your eyes and your mind will not have time notice changes. And, in that organized scan, don’t forget your mirrors.
  10. Don’t be afraid to signal your intentions to others. Turn signals, if you notice the car behind you not paying attention, then use your arms.
  11. When you have to slow down fast, check behind you, the car or the truck will not be able to slow down that fast.
  12. When you are stopped, at a light or a Stop sign, you are NOT safe. Again look around, and check your rear-view mirrors.
  13. In residential areas, slow down. What if a kid crosses the road between two parked cars, to get his ball? You would then be the criminal. DON’T give us (the real riders) a bad reputation.

No comments: